Exciting Art in Bakersfield
Life sure would be colorless without art. Bakersfield has murals, sculptures, art galleries – even painted utility boxes – popping up all over town. Reserve your stay at Orange Grove RV Park and take yourself on an absolutely free walking tour of downtown to see Bakersfield come alive with color.
On the first Friday of each month, the Arts Council of Kern features ArtWalk, a family-friendly arts event that showcases Kern County’s best artists. It all happens from 5:00pm – 9:00pm beginning at the intersection of 19th and Eye Streets in downtown Bakersfield when galleries, restaurants, and shops are open and artists display their works on the sidewalk.
Exciting Works of Art in Bakersfield
You will find imagination and color everywhere you look. Here are some of the high points of your self-guided ArtWalk in downtown Bakersfield…
- Painted Utility Boxes – Over 30 utility boxes in downtown Bakersfield have been transformed into public art by local artists.
- Sculptures – Several sculptures can be found in the Betty Younger Sculpture Garden and around the perimeter of the adjacent Bank of America building.
- Pioneer Spirit Sculpture – Commissioned for the opening of Centennial Plaza in 1998.
- Night Club Murals – Several murals along the north side of Wall Street Alley and the east side of “H” Street depict a late 1930s – early 1940s night club.
- Three Guitars Murals – This three-part mural highlights Bakersfield’s rich music history of locally-made guitars.
- Murals at Maya Cinema – Several murals featuring film stars and the history of the movies.
- Tile Art – A wall-sized mosaic created from a folk lore tale for Mexicali Restaurant.
Or see 100 works of colorful public art without waiting for the First Friday to roll around. Just download the tour brochure to locate galleries, museums, paintings, and landscape designs so you go whenever you feel like it. It’s absolutely free!
Orange is a Great Color
Orange is the color of the dazzling sunsets, the tigers in the zoo, and the delicious fruits hanging on the trees in your own RV site here at pet-friendly Orange Grove RV Park. ‘Orange’ you glad you know about art in Bakersfield now?